Monday, August 2, 2010

Dotting the I's of a stranger

I didn’t realize it at the time, but the genesis of this blog actually stemmed from an interview I did with Queensryche lead singer Geoff Tate a couple years ago. We were discussing his excitement at being able to branch out and take a villainous role in a movie titled “Houses of Eternity” that was due to begin shooting soon after a series of production delays.

“The theory of these films is nothing is sure until they roll the camera on you,” Tate said. “I guess even then you could end up on the cutting room floor ... ”

While “cutting room floor” is a phrase clearly associated with film, the more I reflected on Tate’s comment, the more I recognized facing the same process with every writing assignment. Whether it is covering a sporting event, writing a feature story or reviewing a concert, there is always additional information worthy of mention that never sees print for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it’s a deadline issue. Other times it’s a matter of available space. Often, some interesting tidbit just doesn’t fit into the flow of a story. One of my greatest writing frustrations is sitting on something that I figure someone, somehow, somewhere would be interested in reading.

While the floor around my computer isn’t literally littered with the scattered remnants of witty repartee, alliteration gone wild or undangling participles, “The Editing Room Floor” made a somewhat sexier blog title than, say, “The Nether Regions of a Reporter’s Notebook.” Not only will it be a way for me to empty that notebook, so to speak, from assignments of all varieties, but I also look forward to including full-length musician interviews, some reviews and the occasional reminiscences and ruminations of someone who has passionately followed rock music for more than 35 years.

So, welcome to “The Editing Room Floor” — and watch your step.

No comments:

Post a Comment